Tuesday, September 30, 2014

simply wrapping up

A short review of my simplicity goals I (attempted to) tackle during August and September:

Simplify my living space: Despite my efforts to print off checklists (I love checklists), break tasks down into smaller steps, and commit to just 20 minutes a day, I did not make much progress with my intended simplifying. I never made a charity run, nor did I follow the "one in, one out" rule (I love my clothes way too much). I did, however, get in the habit of doing a quick and dirty clean up every night before bed. My husband even suggested the clean up three nights a week...wahoo! Over the course of the past two months, I came to realize that I wasn't looking for a simpler living space as far as decluttering and getting rid of things, I was searching for a simpler way to maintain. Decluttering didn't become a priority, keeping my organization simple did. I'd write this one off as a success!

Simplify my work space: Done, done, and done! I honestly cannot focus on my work if my office is not tidy, tidy, tidy. Luckily, the state gave us a few extra prep days before the students came back to school so I had more than enough time to get my room just right. And my calendar and To Do list are essential to my success at work, so those were simple to create and maintain. Easy peasy!

Simplify my lifestyle: I have a busy schedule. I know it, I live it, and I love it. My intention was to commit only to those events and tasks that I truly wanted to do. As is typical with adulthood, sometimes I had to buck up and deal with whatever came my way (ahem...parent-teacher conferences). But more often than not, I was able to put on my brave face and decline invitations or requests if I did not feel I had the energy, brain power, or gusto to fully commit. I feel more in control of my schedule and life, and I love feeling that way. I've learned it's okay to say "no", and that most people will understand. I continued with my nightly runs (usually with zit cream on my face) and used that as my meditation time. I'd write this goal off as a success, too.

I know I promised book reviews and all that jazz, but let's be honest--I didn't finish one of them! (Tells you how much I truly cared about decluttering and simplifying my living space...) Below is a list of books I started, but never finished:

::The Joy of Less by Francine Jay
::The Simple Living Handbook: Discover the Joy of a Decluttered Life by Lorilee Lippincott
::Organizing for Life: Declutter Your Mind to Declutter Your World by Sandra Felton

Like I've said, I had great intentions but very poor follow through.

Next post will be about...drum roll please...authenticity!! (So maybe not finishing those books was really a good way to transition to authenticity??) Still working on reigning in my goals, but they're gonna be great!

0 comments:

Post a Comment