Sunday, September 21, 2014

almost done with simplicity!

Simplifying is much harder than I ever expected it to be. You'd think it'd be, well, simple. But in my case, that's not the word I would pick to describe these last two months.


I'd like to blame my packed schedule and constantly-cluttered home on working two jobs, trying to support the husband through his final semester of undergrad work while applying to grad school, family changes, and church responsibilities. BUT the fact of the matter is that I think my life will always be this way--packed to the brim. As crazy at it makes me sometimes, I enjoy feeling busy, needed, useful, and like I am growing outside of my comfort zone.


I've still been focusing on only committing to what I actually want to do, but as an adult (or someone who's trying to be one) sometimes you have to buck up and do things you don't necessarily want. Some weeks I would love to stay home from work to catch up on other things, but then the bills wouldn't get paid and we'd be SOL. Other times I would love to ignore my church responsibilities and pretend like I don't know anyone, but that's just not very mature of me.


I've come to realize through this process that having an absolutely simplified lifestyle (specifically speaking of cluttered vs. uncluttered) doesn't matter as much to me as I thought. Living simply is such a new trend that I think I was trying to fit in rather than do what suits me. Don't get me wrong, I still love a clean and organized home, but I simply don't care enough to take the time to declutter, pare things down, and follow through with getting rid of what I've pared down. I'd rather spend my spare hour with my husband watching Castle, eating dinner, and catching up on our days.


So I guess that leads me to our next topic of focus: authenticity. Brooke is a little timid (okay, maybe more than a little timid) to tackle authenticity, but I can't be more excited. I'm still working on my goals, so I'll share those next week, but know that I can't wait to figure out how to be more true to myself. It'll be an adventure!

0 comments:

Post a Comment