Thursday, October 16, 2014

on perfectionism

Perfectionism is a nasty word and a nasty thing. It's probably my biggest downfall--ironic. Anytime I doubt myself, am snarky/rude/curt, feel blue, or feel anything negative really I can almost always relate it back to perfectionism. Perfectionism is the demon that tries to run my life, and usually ends up ruining it if it gets out of hand.

The Gifts of Imperfection by Brene Brown spends an entire chapter on perfectionism and self-compassion. (I am telling you, I loved this book!!) Below is how Brown explains perfectionism (pp. 56-57)

::Perfectionism is not the same thing as striving to be your best.
::Perfectionism is not self-improvement.
::Perfectionism is a self-destructive and addictive belief system.

Brown also states that "...when you're a perfectionist, your self-worth is on the line." (p. 57) I told you perfectionism was nasty.

If I take an honest look at myself, I find that perfectionism hits me in two major areas: body image and home-making. I'm constantly comparing my body/hair/skin/teeth/whatever to other women, real or not. I can tell myself all I want that the women in magazines, movies, tv, etc. are photo-shopped and I truly believe they are, but when it comes down it I still compare. I also constantly compare my cooking/baking/cleaning/organization/decorating/child-bearing skills to other women. I get down on myself that I have hardly any art on the walls, my bed isn't made every day, I cook maybe twice a week, and I don't have kids. I have to be extremely wary and delineate between self-improvement and perfectionism when it comes to body image and home-making.



So what can we do to ward off perfectionism? Brown gives two suggestions (p. 57): speak about/acknowledge imperfections in tender and honest ways, and be slow to judge yourself and others...aka practice self-compassion. She even links Dr. Kristin Neff's word on self-compassion, complete with a self-compassion scale to rate how you're doing (www.self-compassion.org).

If you're like me and identify with feelings of perfectionism, fill in the rating scale! It's a great first step on your perfectionism recovery journey! I discovered that I'm doing quite well with common humanity and mindfulness, but my self-kindness and self-judgment could definitely use some work.

Anything you guys use or do to help you overcome feelings of perfectionism?

0 comments:

Post a Comment