Wednesday, November 5, 2014

learning moments in patience

So I'm not into divulging personal details here, especially when it comes to the ones I love and hold most dear. Sorry if this post is vague, but I'd rather keep my relationships private. Hope you understand.

The past month has been a difficult one for my husband and me. Between the grad school applications and fees, family expectations, student vs. non-student workload, and general stress I have not been the most patient person on the planet. Who am I kidding, I'm never the most patient person on the planet! Regardless, I have not been as patient with myself or the husband as I should. It's taking a toll on me.

Sunday night afforded me the wonderful opportunity of exercising patience with Wes and myself. Like I said, no personal details, but know that Sunday night I began to understand the beauty of patience with one's spouse when they are feeling particularly vulnerable. Typically I jump to conclusions or try to create an immediate solution. I'm not sure if I do those things to avoid dealing with Wes's vulnerability or if I truly think I'm helping, but I rarely allow myself to deal with his vulnerability. That night, however, I took the opportunity to listen to everything Wes had to say without jumping in or creating "fixes" in my mind. I just sat and listened.  When Wes was done, I simply offered an apology of sympathy along with a hug and assured him that everything would be okay. You know what? It worked! My patience, reassurance, and faith in Wes was what he needed, simple as that.

I'm so grateful for the opportunities I've had to exercise patience with others and myself this past month. I've learned so many things about authenticity, both for myself and others. My eyes have been opened to what's really important and how much growing I have left to do. I'm excited to see what November has to bring!

0 comments:

Post a Comment