Wednesday, December 3, 2014

wrapping up authenticity, just in time for the holidays!

Embracing imperfections is hard. I don't think it's meant to be easy. We live in a world where society's definition of perfection is unattainable, yet we are expected to strive to reach it.  We are told to have the perfect body (not too fat and not too skinny) but to also be happy with the body we have, to juggle multiple responsibilities (not limited to a career, a family, a relationship, or our personal hobbies) with ease and grace, to never let anyone see our weaknesses, to be continuously happy and cheerful regardless of whatever may be happening behind the scenes, to have the perfectly decorated and clean home, to have a deliciously prepared meal three times a day, to have well-rounded children who are perfect in every way, etc. etc. Seriously, the list could go on and on.

Basically, we are told to believe we are never enough--we will never reach "perfection".

That's why I tackled the task of embracing my imperfections and cultivating the courage to show them. I, like everyone, am subject to society's expectations. I am constantly told that I'm not __________ enough (fill in the blank with the word of your choice). It's demoralizing to be bombarded with this message every day.

As I reflect on my authenticity journey the last two months, I'm pretty happy with the progress I made. I learned to start saying "I'm enough" when society tells me otherwise. I engaged in some difficult conversations regarding my imperfections and how I may need more support than I can give myself. I learned to look outward for strength when I need it most. I've started to be happy with little amounts of consistent progress and to stop expecting huge bounds toward perfection.

As with all of the topics Brooke and I will be tackling this year, authenticity is a journey--it's not something that happens overnight. That's why we chose the imagery of blossoming--it's a beautiful process. I will definitely keep thinking about authenticity and how to cultivate a more accepting view of myself and others, but for now I need to focus a little more on spirituality. Goals will be coming soon!

0 comments:

Post a Comment