Friday, September 5, 2014

decluttering tips and tricks

Disclaimer: I am, by no means whatsoever, a decluttering/simplicity/whatever expert. These tips and tricks I will be sharing are strictly things I have tried and found helpful for me. Feel free to try them out yourself and please let me know what you think by commenting below!


I love it when major projects are broken down into smaller, simpler steps. I'm definitely the type that gets overwhelmed by the big picture. I've been researching this decluttering concept for a while now, so I feel that I have a nice, comfy stash of resources to help me achieve some sort of progress. Most of the links below I originally found through Pinterest (link to my Blossoming Intentionally board here), but I've linked the sites the pins lead to so you don't have to click a bajillion times. You're welcome.

First, I love this 30-day breakdown of decluttering from PopSugar. It gives me smaller areas to focus on for one day rather than trying to figure it out myself. Plus, there are some areas on the list that don't apply to me (thank you, rental apartment) so I can either have a day off or spend more time on an area that is larger than most (no thank you, giant-closet-that-I-love-to-fill-with-expensive-things).

Next, when I'm having a hard time deciding what I should do with an item (think superhero t-shirts, unused smelly lotion that I can't even smell, gifts that I have absolutely no use for), I mentally go through this checklist on Auto Straddle (and further from lifeyourway.net) to give me direction. I even printed one off so I can have it handy! It's a great way for me to breakdown why I am wanting to save something, and if that reason is legit.

Third, I read up on quite a few simplicity and/or minimalist blogs to give me motivation to keep getting rid of things. Some of my favorites are...
:: The Art of Simple
:: Becoming Minimalist
:: The Minimalists
:: The Everyday Minimalist
:: Miss Minimalist (she even has a book!!)
Seriously, you can't wrong with any of these sites. They give great ideas on how to get the simplifying process started, what minimalism means (which, of course, varies from person to person anyway), why they lead minimalist lives, and easy steps to take each day rather than trying to change your entire world in a day.

Finally, I hunker down and do the work. Brooke posted before about us setting the reminder on our phones and spending our decluttering time "together". While this doesn't happen every day, it happens often enough that it's part of my natural routine to start decluttering something at 8:30 p.m. Seriously, having someone on your team, even if they're a bajillion miles away, can make all the difference.

Well, my friends, I hope you find these resources helpful and useful! Let us know how your simplifying journey is going!

0 comments:

Post a Comment